WWW.KOOKIBERKSonline.TK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

WWW.KOOKIBERKSonline.TK
WWW.KOOKIBERKSonline.TK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KC Concepcion goes to Africa for a cause

Go down

KC Concepcion goes to Africa for a cause Empty KC Concepcion goes to Africa for a cause

Post by anne_cealydar Sun 23 Jan 2011, 8:15 am

]size=12]
KC Concepcion goes to Africa for a cause
Thursday, January 20, 2011
06:12 PM

Last January 14, KC Concepcion left for Uganda, Africa.
But it wasn't a pleasure trip; it was part of her duties as ambassador to the United Nation's World Food Program.

Prior to this, KC had visited Mindanao—specifically, Maguindanao—twice.

In May 2009, she had a read-along session at an evacuation camp in the village of Libungan Torreta. Her audience was composed of children belonging to homeless families, which got affected by the war between Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels and the government.

In October 2010, she returned to see the Food For Training site in Sitio Gadong, check the Barangay Health Station in Sambulawan, and spend time with the pupils of Pagtin Elementary School, where an Emergency School Feeding took place.

Before her flight, she said, "As a National Ambassador Against Hunger for the United Nation World Food Program, I represent the UN not only here in the Philippines but also wherever they think I should go, in this case, Africa.

"I've gone to Mindanao several times and so this, for me, is also a learning experience, never having been to Africa. Conflicts all over the world result in the same kind of suffering and pain for the affected populations. We share a common predicament as human beings whether in Mindanao or Uganda.

"We go all over to draw as much attention to the problem of hunger in these areas. I'm just glad that I can help out in whatever capacity. So this month, nasa Africa ako and in the next few months, I'm sure nasa Mindanao ulit ako at kung saan man ako makakatulong."

Giving updates on KC's activities in Uganda is Ms. Mei Nebreja of the UN WFP. She related via Star Magic that the 25-year-old star is doing quite well with her mission.

Last January 16, KC embarked on a 10-hour road trip to reach some remote areas in Uganda. Here, she experienced mingling with the locals and understanding their culture: "I love how two people from opposite ends of the world with their open hearts can understand and connect with each other right away."

The daughter of Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion also had the chance to play with the children. "Some kids I was talking to were HIV positive but they seem normal happy kids," she said.

In UN centers, she helped in distributing formulated meals, which will help address the nutritional deficiency of kids in six weeks.

Showbiz, in a way, had prepared her for the trip. She didn't have problems at all dropping her celebrity status.

"I think working in showbiz trained me for this. From taping and shooting, I learned to rough it out with jingle bags and sleeping in small spaces," said KC.

Nebreja also shared that KC was in awe of Uganda, which reminded her of the Lion King OST upon seeing the green patches of land and grass.

KC is set to return to Manila on the 20th.
http://www.pep.ph/features/extra/23721/kc-concepcion-goes-to-africa-for-a-cause

Insert:

KC Concepcion launched "KC's Closet," an online fundraising campaign supported by her friends. She has already raised half a million pesos by selling some of her clothes and bags. A new batch of second-hand items were recently uploaded, and interested buyers can log on to http://stores.eBay.ph/kcsclosetfightschildhunger to bid. All proceeds go directly to the UN World Food Program.

Noel B. Orsal

http://www.pep.ph/features/extra/23721/kc-concepcion-goes-to-africa-for-a-cause
[/size]

anne_cealydar
anne_cealydar

Back to top Go down